- 1 red capsicum
- 1 large mushroom
- Small handful of fresh thyme
- Small handful of fresh oregano
- Small handful of Roma tomatoes
- 8 eggs
- Few cracks of pepper
- Few cracks of salt
- Oil/ butter / cupcake sheets to line the trays
Hey guys, stuck for a quick meal idea. Or would you like to try something new for breakfast? These baked egg muffins are also a great way to get some vegetables into a meal that doesn’t normally have them.
This is the first time I am trying these so just experimented here and there. I had an awesome photo of the finished muffins that I was really proud of, but in a computer illeterate moment, deleted it off my camera’s SD card :(. Oh well, learned for next time so you will have to imagine it looking amazing (cause it tastes amazing 🙂 )!
Preheat the oven on about 180 degrees. Chop up all the ingredients into smallish chunks. Mine are pretty big in the picture, I decided to go a bit smaller but its up to you how you like them. Crack the eggs into a large bowl, add a little bit of water, and crack some salt and pepper. Mix the egg mixture until the egg yolk and white have pretty much combined. Oil your muffin trays with butter or muffin linings. I would recommend the lining, I used coconut oil (to see what it would taste like) and it stuck bad!
- Add a small amount of egg mixture into each hole to coat the bottom
- Add an even mixture of the vegetables and the herbs
- Add more egg mixture till it is about 3/4 full (anymore and it will overflow like mine did)
- I got 8 muffins out of this mixture with some vegetables leftover but you might get 9 since i overfilled
- Pop into the oven for between 10-15 minutes or until they are firm and not runny
- Eat and enjoy 🙂
Add whatever combination of mixture you would like with this. Some meat would be a great added source of protein like shredded chicken breast or chorizo. Chorizo would go great with this actually.
There was some chopped mushrooms, capsicum and tomatoes leftover from this, but don’t throw them away. The next recipe will show you what you can do with that for another easy, functional dish.